Advantages of MemCached:
- MemCached is highly efficient in retrieving data for multiple clients.
- Objects can be stored directly in MemCached.
- MemCached uses binary serialization.
- MemCached can run on UNIX, Windows and MacOS.
- MemCached is distributed under a permissive free software license.
- Need to install MemCached server.
- Need to install MemCached .NET client to access the MemCached servers.
- MemCached client communicates with server through TCP connection and default port is 11211.
- MemCached server listens to the port configured, for any requests from MemCached clients.
- Once the server receives a request from a client on the port, two-level hashing takes place.
- First level hashing is when out of the server pool, MemCached client connects to the correct server.
- Second level hashing is when the value is retrieved for the key provided.
- The value is then returned to the client.
- Opens connection with the server.
- Sends commands like get(), set(), delete() to server.
- Reads responses from server.
- Closes the connection.
Step 1: The application requests keys “foo”, “bar” and “baz” using the client library, which calculates key-hash values, determining which MemCached server should receive requests.
Step 2: MemCached client sends parallel requests to all relevant MemCached servers.
Step 3: MemCached servers send responses to the client library.
Step 4: MemCached client library aggregates responses for the application. MemCached client library is responsible for sending requests to the correct servers.
Click here MemCached.exe to Download
Go to command prompt:
Run this command "c:/memcached/memcached.exe -d install"
then type "c:/memcached/memcached.exe -d start"
(To uninstall “memcached Server” service, in command-prompt, type sc delete “memcached Server”)
Run the Memcached server:
Go to Start -->Run --> and type services.msc
Ensure that “memcached Server” is up and running.
- Default properties of MemCached are
- MemCached server listens to port 11211
- Memory limit is 64 MB.
- Start → Run → and type regedit
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/memcached Server.
- Modify value for Key “ImagPath” to “c:\memcached\memcached.exe” -d runservice -m 512 (This increases memory limit of the server to 512 Mb)
- ther options available to modify default values:
To modify memory limit of the server: -m 1024
To change port number that server listens to: -p 11211
To modify maximum size allowed for storing an object: -I 32m (k for kilobytes, m for megabytes)
Click here for Download .NET MemCached Client library.